Karol Taylor
Karol Taylor asked:

Looking forward to All Saints Lutheran Church book club April 2015 discussion. My grad major was Counseling Psychology, so I wasn't sure if I liked it because I am a counseling nerd or because it perfectly captured Asperger's. My question: Do you, like me, think it accurately captured Asperger's in a loving, compassionate manner?

To answer questions about The Rosie Project, please sign up.
Billy Wood-Smith Knowing a ten-year-old who has been diagnosed with Asperger's, I can vividly imagine him to grow up and be like Don. Loveable, handsome, aware that he is a bit different, but still willing to engage. I hope he finds his Rosie as well.
I think the author captured Asperger's perfectly - even though he never says that Don has Aspereger's. The way Don characterizes himself and uses his intelligence and his knowledge of his own shortcomings to compensate, is amazing. And - in my eyes - very realistic.
Rebecca I think it treated Asperger's not as a disease, but as someones brain working in a different way, which causes some difficulties in social interactions, but also some strengths. It portrays all the difficulties that someone with aspergers encounters and all the prejudice in society that they have to cope with.
Janet Fulmer I worked as a counselor also, for some 4 decades. I think it captures Asperger's in a loving and compassionate manner but with a little more
OCD than necessary.
Leslie Archer I'm not a professional psychologist, but I thought Don's personality is open to interpretation. As he said, he's wired differently. He also said, "I didn't need another label." I found Don to be a highly structured yet deeply caring HUD who was willing to take great risks to protect the most important relationship in his life.
Image for The Rosie Project
by Graeme Simsion (Goodreads Author)