Kate
Kate asked:

Is this book appropriate for younger readers? Why or why not?

To answer questions about Egg and Spoon, please sign up.
Teddy Bear Books I would say it is appropriate, at least as far as I can remember. I was pretty young when I picked it up, and was totally fine. I have hear that Gregory Maguire's other books are more for adults, but this one is definitely middle grade.
Mk I just read to my three boys (8, 6 and 4) and they (we) LOVED it! Very funny bits and rapid plot. We read as a go along book with some other things we were reading about Russia. Lots of great allusions (lot’s wife, Jason sowing the dragon’s teeth, Pandora), which allowed further exploration. Loved it!
Melissa Yes-- there is nothing inappropriate. Nothing too scary. A child though under 12 would possibly have a hard time with all of the symbolism.
Image for Egg and Spoon