Debra
Debra asked:

To answer questions about All the Light We Cannot See, please sign up.
Heidi
Elaine Dreher
Pixellle Yes, I was really puzzled by this. It didn't fit in with Marie Laure's character at all. This is the only part of the book I feel was a mistake.
Diana Arezzo It was profoundly disappointing when Marie Laure failed to explain Werner's stunning heroism, compassion, and self-sacrifice to Jutta. Jutta had been his only moral compass, which ultimately brought him to change in the end. The truth would have brought Jutta immeasurable joy, relief, and closure, and maybe even justifiable pride in her influence on Werner. She deserved to hear the truth. Jutta was making excuses for her brother's failings, even asking if he had taken the house from Marie Laure. It was out of character for Marie Laure not to set her straight. She went to the trouble to offer the record. Did she really think that the record was more important than telling Jutta the truth? I'm betting that the movie will change this ending.
Debra Thanks for answering Michelle. I interpreted it that Marie-Laure didn't tell Jutta. Given that Marie-Laure was left wondering about her father, I would have figured she would have provided what comfort she could to Jutta by sharing Werner's actions. When Marie didn't offer this kindness, it changed my whole perspective of her and made me dislike her character.
Michelle Leplaw I didn't understand that. You would have thought that she would explain that to Jutta. Maybe the reader was expected to know that she had explained it
Image for All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr (Goodreads Author)