Mari
Mari asked:

I loved the movie, but when I read the book ( as I was about to to purchase it as a present for my niece) I was very disappointed in Sophie's character especially. She was so thoroughly nasty, I put the book back. Not that I liked the book version of Howell. The book I would not give to a 12 yr old girl. I don't want her to think that girls like the book Sophie are heroines. Who would!?

To answer questions about Howl’s Moving Castle, please sign up.
Charlotte Siobhan Many of the people in the book are quite nasty to Sophie, she deserves to be nasty back. I read this a year or so ago when I was 11 or 12 and I thought Sophie was a great charcter.
Casey I would! I don't think Sophie was nasty at all. I think she was very independent and took her destiny into her own hands after she was handed a bad lot in life, and I think that shows strength of character. It also shows how she went from being resigned to living a life others had set out for her to living her own life. I'm not saying she's any type of super hero but she is most definitely human and it's very clear in the book when she makes mistakes (not all her actions are idealized in the story). She has faults and must learn just like anyone in real life (even if she does dive head first into situations that give her more trouble than good). She goes from someone who seems a bit weak willed to someone who finds out and knows who they are. I think it's much better than half the Disney films that show the only way to succeed is to find a man that gives you worth.Sophie found her own self worth in the story and if she did end up with a man at the end, she wasn't his prize.
Image for Howl’s Moving Castle