Grace
Grace asked:

Wait...is this book pro-Arab and the other book pro-Israel?....isn't this the same author....what???????? am i wrong?

To answer questions about The Haj, please sign up.
Jodie Pillius MacKrell I think Uris tries to give a voice to the Palestinians, but he is telling it from a Jewish viewpoint. I am not sure if he could ever be completely pro-Arab because of this. I do think he gives a nice overview of the culture and traditions of the Arab Muslim people though, which is probably fairly accurate. The Arab family portrayed in this book has very different customs and beliefs than we do as Americans, some of those beliefs are downright ugly, yet Uris still makes the characters appealing. That alone shows he is trying to explain the positive parts of this culture.
Robin Rabinowitz It tells both sides of the story....I am enjoying it so far
Joyce I would not say it is "pro" Arab. I do believe Mr. Uris has endeavored to present the historical background of modern day Palestine.
Marie It's been years since I read it, but I distinctly remember thinking it didn't reflect well on Arab culture so I'd have a hard time calling it pro-Arab.
Issam This sorry excuse for a "book" is just the rantings of an anti-Muslim, anti-Arab racist, bigoted, bitter and petty Jewish supremacist that belongs to the dustbin of history.
gary schreiber In this book Uris explains how the Palestinians have reached the current predicament in which they find themselves. In essence its a combination of culture, anti Jewish sentiment and anti colonialism (British/French) along with uncaring absentee landowners and neighboring Moslem/Arab countries that were primarily interested in their own self interests. The reader is left feeling some sympathy for the displaced Palestinians but recognizing that the Jews/Israelis are less to blame than all the other forces I have enumerated.
Michael Definitely not pro-arab.
Clay Olmstead I haven't read either, so I can't say. I have read Amin Maalouf's "The Crusades from an Arab Point of View" and the blurb above sounds like it's in line with 1000+ years of Middle East history.
Image for The Haj