Don
Don asked:

Is 'H is for Hawk' appropriate for a young teen to read?

To answer questions about H is for Hawk, please sign up.
Christian Cull Absolutely, this is suitable. It is an open and honest account that reflects a challenging attitude and a sense of inquiry. It is unflinching and all the better for it. My 13 year old daughter loved it, and I was delighted when she said she wanted to read it.
Virginia I would not recommend this for most thirteen- or fourteen-year-olds. There is some discussion of White's unusual sexuality, his abusive childhood, and the author's own struggles with depression. Parts of the book are quite dark, and being thirteen can be challenging enough. For most kids smart enough to read this, I think it might be emotionally perilous. That's not to say there isn't a young teen out there for whom it might be a magnificent experience. But I'd be cautious.
Don I appreciate the answer. Thanks. It's a good idea for me to read it first. The question was meant for a 13x year old middle-schooler.
Woodstock Pickett I'm not sure. How "young?" What other adult non fiction has the reader in question read and enjoyed? The book is not entirely about the training of the hawk. There is quite a bit of literary analysis of the life and works of the author T H White which parallels the author's experience as she trains her hawk. I marked the book one of the "best of 2015" in my own reading log, and would recommend it to all who enjoy memoir. My answer about a young reader would have to be based on what I knew about that reader. Maybe if you read it first?
Joseph Reynolds Appropriate? Yes. Interesting? No. Kids would go 'BORING!!!' as they don't really have a sympathetic or empathic gene yet. They won't get the connections. They won't get the book.
Image for H is for Hawk