Cathy
Cathy asked:

Do you think A Dog's Purpose is too sad to read to my seventh grade students? I just finished reading A Monster Calls to them, which is REALLY sad. I do know that my kids got a lot out of A Monster Calls, and they, yes, 12-year-olds, LISTENED with rapt attention while I read it out loud to them.

To answer questions about A Dog's Purpose, please sign up.
W. Cameron I would love to hear if you decided to read this one, Cathy! Did you know there is a free study guide available? http://adogspurpose.com/component/con...
Cathy I remember being in 5th grade and having one of my favorite teachers reading aloud a book in class that I suggested. It was "Blitz The Story of a Horse" and she sobbed at one point during the story. It made quite an impression on me and may be one of the reasons why she's remembered as a favorite teacher ;) I suggest reading it to your students and discuss it as you go along. I can't read this book without crying but I know a lot more about dogs now then I did when I was in grade school. Your students may grow up being kinder than they would have, especially if they don't currently have a bond with a pet dog. Please come back and tell us about the experience.
Gabrielle There are quite a few sad parts in this book, so normally I would say yes. However, I wouldn't call it EXTREMELY sad. I've never read A Monster Calls, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. It deals with death and loss, but overall the main idea of the book is to show you that a dog really is a man's best friend and will always be there for you. I hope that if you do make the choice of reading this to your students then they really love it!
Andrea I know I am late for this particular teacher and particular class, but I wanted to give my opinion. Personally, I would not have wanted to read this book in a public setting. I get very uncomfortable crying in public after I started junior high and still do even though now I am an adult. I would have been very upset, trying SO hard to hide my emotions that I might not have really got all out of the book as I would have reading it on my own. I did have social anxiety as you could probably tell, so that's why I wanted to leave a comment still. I think it's an interesting and engaging book, that teenagers would like no doubt find enjoyable. But my suggestion would be to let them read it on their own. They would have time to process their feelings etc. and then you could discuss it the next day etc. Just the way I see things.
Leela Gupta My class read Where The Red Fern Grows in 6th grade and that was sadder. Also read Old Yeller in 7th grade. So I think this would be fine.
Image for A Dog's Purpose
by W. Bruce Cameron (Goodreads Author)