Chelsey Cosh
Chelsey Cosh asked:

Which POISONWOOD BIBLE character do you most relate to? My opinion over the years hasn't changed much. I like to think I'm like Leah, but now and again I fear I'm a little too much like the worst parts of Rachel.

To answer questions about The Poisonwood Bible, please sign up.
Diane Verdi I most related to the mother. Her description of her relation with her daughters rang true and incisive to me.
Hari Brandl Definitely Adah. Her inner word play alone, with her backwards reading and ease with palindromes, is right up my alley. As is her sardonic outlook on life.
Abby Gayle Adah. I loved her humor and her humbleness along with the fact that she did not seem to feel the need to comment out loud or show off how smart she really was with the math and languages
Amber Early on, Adah. Her reserved nature and her relative invisibility as "the handicapped one" made her the perfect observer of life. But as it went on, her bitterness began to wear me down, and as Leah grew disillusioned with her father's brand of zealotry and took up a cause of her own, I admired Leah more and more. I can't say I would ever have the gumption to make the choices she did, but I respect her for it. There's no doubt in my mind that Adah is the one I'm most like.
Maxine Adah. I'm not handicapped, but her feelings of isolation and being looked upon as different resonated with me, also to her resentful feelings toward her non-crippled twin as well as " people who fit in easily", and I liked the way she secretly believed that her genius made her superior to those who mocked her, and to others in her family
Jenny Personally, I related to Leah. I spent my childhood following in my father's footsteps, yearning for his love and acceptance. I had it for a short time, or did I? I had a coming-of-age experience when I was 12 that changed my entire family. Like Leah, I kind of "outgrew" my father and his skewed ideals and followed my own passions. My father's influence remains, deeply ingrained within the schemas of my thought processes. Some days I resist it; some, I act upon it as if by instinct. Are we ever free from past experience? Some days I just want to stop all the responding and just be.

"If I could reach backward somehow to give Father just one gift, it would be the simple human relief of knowing you've done wrong, and living through it...He stamped me with a belief in justice, then drenched me in culpability, and I wouldn't wish such torment even on a mosquito."
Sall I didn't really relate to any of them, Nathan Price annoyed me, and it took me ages to warm to the others. Leah seemed to have the larger say in the story and I totally understood her going hunting, so in that respect I would say Leah
Image for The Poisonwood Bible