Paula Thompson

I loved the Goldfinch, though it was too long, like she did not know how to end it. Any comments about her first piece of fiction, The Secret History?

To answer questions about The Secret History, please sign up.
Jackie L I look for "longer" books because I enjoy the full character development that takes place. A good story takes time to tell. I thought the Goldfinch was way too long in the drunken/Las Vegas section, but I actually thought it was wrapped up too quickly in the end, and not enough time was spent on Theo's romantic relationship.
Donna Tartt is gifted author and I love her style of writing. I've read Goldfinch and The Secret History, and both have frequent, long, detailed accounts of substance abuse that feel tedious and almost nauseating, but that might just be the effect she wants to achieve.
I'm glad I read Goldfinch first, because I prefer The Secret History, it moved at a faster pace, and there were more interesting characters. I might have been a little disappointed with Goldfinch if I had read it after. I would recommend both books though. I plan read The Little Friend, but not right away.
Atara I read The Goldfinch and thought it too long as well, but I liked it. I would put it down just to get a break from it. That wasn't my experience with The Secret History, though. I never wanted to put it down, but not in that it is a "page turner". It's just a well written mesmerizing read.
Christine Way The Secret History is one of my favorite books. Not as long as The Goldfinch, but equally well written. Both are versions of the classic coming of age story. If you loved The Goldfinch, you will probably enjoy The Secret History as well.
Teresa Karas I actually love the way she meanders through her stories this one could have gone a hundred ways which keeps you guessing, on edge and off balance which is so much more fun than predictable.
Muriel Areno I haven't read the Goldfinch yet, but this seems to be Tartt's style. Another question here touches on that, likening her style to several authors of the past.
That said, yes, some parts of the Secret History were a bit long.
Image for The Secret History