Did anyone else find a little disturbing the fact that Katniss wanted to inyect air into Peeta's veins to "save him from the Capitol's hands"? I don't know, I just can't see it as an act of compassion...

To answer questions about Catching Fire, please sign up.
Amy L. Hunt I don't know what she hoped to do with the hypodermic, since it was empty, but the reason was this - would you rather be slowly tortured to death, or die quickly and "mercifully"? That is where the compassion comes in.
The whole world of The Hunger Games is horrible. So think of it like this: have you ever had to have a beloved pet "put to sleep"? That is Katniss's goal, to not allow Peeta to suffer at the sadistic hands of the Capitol. She would rather he not suffer, but just go to sleep gently, and never wake up.
Image for Catching Fire