Samuel Moss
Samuel Moss asked:

What real world composers (might have) contributed to the characters of Kazan and Mullery and the other fictional composers in 'The Unconsoled'?

To answer questions about The Unconsoled, please sign up.
Adam Good question. I am recalling an interview I read with the pianist Mitsuko Uchida about her growing love for Schoenberg, who is still one of those composers mostly only loved by musicians. Of course the time period of this novel is a bit hard to place - my initial thought given the setting is Post War central Europe, so this could very well be someone like Ligeti or Penderecki, or Lutoslawski. From the conversations we see of people in the 'artistic community' in this city, it feels like it must be one of the arch-modernist atonal composers.
Image for The Unconsoled
by Kazuo Ishiguro (Goodreads Author)