Melissa Hipperson

I am still curious of who's white shirt is on the front page.I don't know if I missed that in the book or something, however I am thinking it is either Phoebe's(I think that as it kind of looks like a baby's little shirt)or I was thinking it was Norah's from the beach(only thing is,Paul and David,said they saw her blouse on the ground,but had bright coloured ones.Can someone tell me what they think/know about it?

To answer questions about The Memory Keeper's Daughter, please sign up.
Wiedienacht
Stacy It's a baby's dress and it is transparent. I guess we could look at it in a number of ways. It reminds me of a photographic negative.
Jessica Back in the 1960's, my aunt's son passed away about 3 or 4 days after he was born from premature complications. When they pronounced his death, my aunt said one of the nurses dressed him in a little white dress to symbolize peace, innocence, and rest before they buried him.
cheryl burton i think it's David's sister's shirt.
Jillian B. 8A The white shirt is Phoebe's shirt because it is translucent like a ghost, and it is a baby girl shirt.
Marlene Flippen It is better to be transparent than to keep secrets. The father was not transparent about this beautiful baby that he gave away and chose to keep a secret. The picture symbolizes transparency to me.
Preeti I think it's Phoebe's shirt. It is shown translucent because she is a lost baby, existing only in memory of David and Norah.
Lynn C My guess is that it's supposed to be Phoebe's, possibly a burial shroud. I think it's transparent (or a photo negative) because she's repeatedly defined by her absence in her birth family's lives. Kind of like the opposite of a baby, pure loss. But also existing just out of sight.
Arjun Does it necessarily have to belong to someone, the shirt on the front cover? to me it is just a symbol of love, of longing.
Aishwarya Unnikrishnan I strongly believe that it is Phoebe's shirt. It is shown to be translucent and as something that isn't present but a memory. It can also be thought of something that started forming but remained half completed, like Phoebe's life that though formed inside Norah's body but couldn't live on earth, as thought of by Norah.
Karen It's Phoebe's shirt from Norah's imagination.
Image for The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards (Goodreads Author)