Erin Fusco
Erin Fusco asked:

Is this book hard to read?

Elizabeth Invergo Depending on your vocabulary, this book might be considered hard to read. It is written in old English ('thou' 'thee' 'speaketh', etc.) If you can handle that higher sort of language, it should be okay. But, no, if you're a reader of modern books (and those only), you most likely will have trouble or a difficult time staying with it.
Elizabeth *Book Lover* It's written in old fashioned English, and there are vocabulary words that aren't used today or commonly used. It matters on your reading comprehension on if it's hard to read or not. I hope this helps.
Stuart thou' 'thee' 'speaketh' are actually all Modern English. Old English is the language of Beowulf and Caedmon and Bede.

This is the version of King Arthur I had growing up. It was written by The American artist Howard Pyle in 1903, about the time my Grandmother was born. He was part of the Brandywine River School along with N.C. Wyeth.

Pyle wrote a number of children's books featuring classic adventure stories such as this and his Robin Hood and "Men of Iron" and some fairytale books in the vein of Andrew Lang such as "Pepper and Salt" and "The Wonder Clock" The original books were illustrated by Pyle himself, and those are the best editions if you can find them. (My copy is not)

He does use some period dialogue to give a taste of the times but its not overall that difficult. It was expected to write medieval set books and plays in this kind of language language. At least until the late 60s when the Lion in Winter was made.

Also as a Quaker in the Delaware River area he was surely familiar with the Quaker habit of speaking with each other in thees and thous.

I probably was given this book for Christmas in 5th or 6th grade, I would guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_...
Image for The Story of King Arthur and His Knights