Dalton Adams
Dalton Adams asked:

How many other people found Florence's narration annoying as hell, with her made up words? That being said I just bought the sequel, The Girl who Couldn't Read. We'll see how it goes, and if I don't feel like strangling Florence for her horrible grammar.

To answer questions about Florence & Giles, please sign up.
Dana Oh come on. She barded the language! I really appreciated Florence's innovative grammar and felt it added to the idiosyncrasies of her character. Fact is I simply adored Florence.
Holly I agree with Dana. And I didn't know there was a sequel! Now I'll have to check it out when I finish this one.
Wendle The idea was it was her made up language (she never uses it out loud, in front of others, you might notice). She knows exactly what she's doing--she understands grammar perfectly well, but is choosing to turn these nouns and adjectives into verbs. She notes Shakespeare, and that when there wasn't a word for something he just made one up, and says that she does the same.

That said, the Florence-isms (as i call them) were hugely hit and miss for me. Some i thought were wonderful and fun, others just awkward.
Janine I loved Florence as the narrator, but I thought her 'own language' was pointless, annoying and added nothing to the story.
I thought that sort of effect was more successfully done in other novels, e.g. Snake Ropes by Jess Richards.
Sue You just answered the misgiving I had when I read the book description. I won't even try this one. It is disappointing since I was interested at first
Daniela Meglio If possible, in the Italian version the result was even worse. Too bad, I think Harding is a very good author, but you are right; I guess the point was to highlight that Florence was a self-taught girl but with all the literature she read in my opinion is impossible that her grammar was so bad!
Image for Florence & Giles
by John Harding (Goodreads Author)