Ag
Ag asked:

I am interested in how women contributed to settling the west, however, the title is off putting. It seems like a stereotype of women as "gentle tamers", really? If you read this book, does it include woman who were not so gentle and does it include all women, Native American, Mexican, former slaves.

MaryEllen Clark I just finished this book - it is not as well written as Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and it is not inclusive as you wish. But it was written in 1958. The title is misleading, its a catalogue of the various women who went out west - why they went, what their experience and hardships were and some amazing information you weren't taught in school. Its not a difficult or lengthy read.
Image for The Gentle Tamers