Bethwareham
Bethwareham asked:

Is anyone else besides me sick to their stomach about the numbers of dead black kids in this book?

Carolyn Yes- I even hated rating it as a book I really liked. How can I like a book so much that is so horribly sad and true. It made a huge impact on me.
Amy Curtiss Yes, and I was glad that the author chose to put names to all those men, it made me think of them as individual humans with their own complicated stories, instead of just another gang banger dying by the sword he lived by.
Sally Absolutely. And I feel sick after reading about the history of justice (or the lack thereof) in the South and how that has impacted black Americans.
Amy Large Oh, golly - YES!! I dreaded picking up this book every time I did. But, on the other hand, we need to look at this problem.
Meran This is an important book. In order to heal this plague, the true numbers MUST be known. Otherwise, you get what we're already getting: blind eyes... Blinkered minds... Those who say "well, that's one less we have to worry about..." (Really. I've actually ~heard that.)
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada I felt like this book actually gave me better questions to ask about how we need to address crime issues in my neighborhoods. It isn't just policy presence but the right kind action.
Sandra Louden Throwing money at the problem obviously doesn't work. There must be jobs where a high school graduate--or even less--can earn a decent wage that can support a family. There must be a standard where the incentive to have a child does not rest mostly on the extra government income generated by having this child. There must be a reckoning that children having children has a high percentage rate of leading to ultimate tragedy. No, I understand no one wants to hear this. It's PC incorrect. However, HOWEVER, reread this book HONESTLY & OBJECTIVELY & imagine you're in control here. Do you throw more money at it--paid for, by the way, by middle-class families since the poor can't afford it & the rich seem to be great at taking advantage of tax loopholes--OR do you provide a day-care center and REQUIRE mothers to continue their education so they get decent jobs to support a family? Do you REQUIRE a DNA test and then REQUIRE the biological fathers to support these children? Okay. I hear you. How do fathers--with little or no formal education--support these children? WITH JOBS...BLUE COLLAR, FACTORY JOBS that abounded for four decades in this country before being given to third-world countries. WAKE UP, FOLKS! We need to MAKE STUFF-- irons, washing machines, dishwashers, to name just a few--that people will buy & use. A service-based economy just ain't cuttin' it. When men can support families, when women either have enough education or skills to support themselves--then, bring a child into the world. Birth control pills are free--well, not "free" for middle-class families (yes, I worked at Planned Parenthood), but ya gotta take 'em for 'em to work & not sell 'em for drugs or liquor. (Yes, again, I worked at Planned Parenthood & received quite an education there). There are many who won't like what I wrote, but the measure of a true man is to support his family. The measure of a true woman is to demand that the father/s of her children support these children. And the measure of children? They have no measure as children. They are innocent and should be protected BY THEIR PARENTS. No excuses. No PC reasons. Birth control is "free" (paid for by our taxes). So, USE IT!
Louise Annetta I have to put it down and decompress after reading it. Pick it up later.
Todd Bryant Yes. I just started listening to the audio version. So far, its disgusting...
Image for Ghettoside