Melissa Marie
Melissa Marie asked:

This is book is my first high fantasy read and i'm planning on reading more of the genre, however, due to this book I don't know if I should continue? are all high fantasy books like this? Terrible pacing and dare I say, a bit boring?

To answer questions about Graceling, please sign up.
Serena I haven't read the Graceling series, but I have read the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. I highly recommend it. I loved the books and I thought they were super exciting.
Cristina Honestly, I wouldn't even categorize GRACELING as high fantasy, since it doesn't have the hallmarks of the genre: huge cast of characters, alternating POVs, multi-branched plots, a lot of emphasis on describing the world, etc. GRACELING is more of a garden-variety fantsy with a more limited cast of characters, more straightforward plot, etc.

If your biggest beef with GRACELING is the pace, I kind of agree that high fantasy might not be your thing. The canonical stuff (Lord of the Rings, Bruce Sanderson, Terry Goodkind, Marion Zimmerman Bradley) are all pretty descriptive and slow-moving. It's just one of those things about high fantasy.

There are, however, exceptions. I'm not the biggest fantasy reader, so I can't say what they are, but if you look hard, you'll find high fantasy with fast-moving plots, but it's not the standard.
Brandi No, I promise you not all high fantasy books are like this one. If you are just starting out in the fantasy genre, I would recommend reading Terry Brooks' Shannara series - mostly for The King of Shannara and the Elfstones of Shannara - and I would also recommend the Dragonlance series. There's also David Eddgings' The Belgariad series. Those are the books I read when I began to read fantasy, and I recently read that a lot of other fantasy readers recommended these authors and series for stepping into the fantasy genre. Just be forewarned that a lot of these same readers agreed that when they re-read these books when they were older, they didn't like them nearly as much as they remembered.

If you want tried-and-true high fantasy books, then yes, go read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia, etc. There's also newer stuff like the So You Want to be a Wizard series, Seraphina, Harry Potter...I might recommend Games of Thrones, but I hesitate to simply because I have not read or seen it.
Kay Dee like Cristina said this NOT high fantasy. high fantasy is treey brooks and Tolkien. this not anything like that. it's more the typical YA book, alil romance, lots of dystopia type stuff with magic thrown in.
Florence The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Please and thank you.
Kate Check out Brandon Sanderson(anything by him!), Brent Weeks ( Night Angel series was good, and I loved the Lightbringer series even though we are still waiting for book 4) also Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Even when the WoT books had some slow parts (to me), it's not enough to kill the story, and it soon switches back to more exciting story lines. IMO
naomi080712 If you like myths, I suggest read Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan, Pegasus and Valkyrie by Kate O’Hearn, or Elementals by Michelle Madow.

If you prefer dystopia, then you might like Divergent by Veronica Roth, Shatter Me by Tehereh Mafi, Partials by Dan Wells, or Legend by Marie Lu.

Maybe you like books about real problems, so try The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky.

Good luck, and happy reading! 😊
mariam I haven't read this book yet. But Sarah J.Mass will make you a addict. I never liked fantasy, but now i read nothing but fantasy
Sameeha Rahman Try the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. It's absolutely wonderful!
Mark Maxfield Question asked 7 years ago........but, here goes...........a trilogy which I find missing from far too many "lists", but which I think might fit what you want perfectly...

Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry" (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road).............far and away the BEST fantasy I have ever read with the single exception of The Wheel of Time series.

On my initial read, there were at least a half dozen places in the stories where I had to put the book down to kind of "dwell" in what I had just read for a while.
Taj absolutely other fantasies are REALLY good. you do have to try a few authors to find what style of fantasy you prefer - i would recommend the Mercedes Lackey 500 kingdom series starting with The Godmother
and Andre Norton Witch World Series. as 2 of my favorites but there are many more. just because this one book wasn't to your taste, please don't right off the genre
Miriam Robarts Different kinds fantasy books can have a vastly different "feel" to them.

I don't really know how others would classify fantasy books, but I think of them in three different types.

There are fairytale & magic type books that can get a little dark sometimes, but are generally lighthearted and fun. Even when there are darker aspects, it tends to be very straightforward in a good-vs.-evil type of way. These might be traditional fairy tales or their retellings/spin offs/twisted fairy tales, etc., or similar to them; or just stories based on magic.

There are books about Faeries or Fae—which tend to be quite different than stories about fairies—so the spelling can give you an idea of the type of book you'll get. Fae are usually written to have a completely different set of morals and ethics. Both Fairies and Fae-type Faeries can be mischievous, but the Fae kind of Faerie can also be cruel or dangerous without it being bad or wrong according to their customs & ethics, so it makes for a very different kind of story.

And there are "high fantasy" books, which tend to be more serious and complicated.

I would put this book in the fairytale & magic category, and as another commenter, Kay Dee said, this book is very YA (Young Adult) fiction.

Slower paced books don't bother me, and a lot of time I don't even notice, so I'm probably not the best person to answer about pacing, but I think with a lot of fantasy books—especially the first book in a series—things are more likely to start out slower because they have to establish how things work in that "world".
Wolfkin I would greatly greatly challenge the characterization of this book as "High Fantasy" this is barebones simple fantasy. The pacing is horrific on this book.

High Fantasy the stuff with great big world building like Runelords, or The Riftwar Saga, or Wheel of Time, these are series where the magic system is generally pretty simple. It's the implimentation that's complex. Runelords for instance has a very simple magic. Through the magic of brands you can give someone else your traits "Beauty" "Intelligence" "Strength" "Sight". You lose them, the branded gain them. Very simple but the series generates the world around them. Imagining Kings who get branded. The bigger you are the more brands you can take. Keeping those people who are stupid, ugly, weak and blind safe because if they die you lose their skills and that means fights aren't necessarily about using that strength but about sabotaging your enemies supply chain. The ethics of taking from your fiefdom. High Fantasy CAN be dull and boring but the pacing is often much better and it's often much more worth the price. Sanderson's "Mistborn Saga" manages to have a great pacing, high fantasy level of depth, and skips the boring downtime.
Sandra You may also want to check out Elizabeth Hayden's Symphony of the Ages series. The first novel is called Rhapsody: Child of Blood.
Anne Marie This story is not really high fantasy in my opinion, though it does share the pace problem which is part of why I find high fantasy boring even though I'm an avid fantasy fan. High fantasy has archetypical characters... the princess, the fighter, the wizard, the sage, the chrone, the simple villager/farmer, the tyrant, etc.. This has those in name, but most of the characters are not really true to type... they don't fit as much into one category or the other as I expect in high fantasy. This is also not an epic tale, in my opinion, which is one of the other hallmarks of high fantasy. Anyway, if you're looking for fantasy with a good pace, I'd go with Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper trilogy, Garth Nix' Abhorsen trilogy, or Jim Hine's Ex-Magic Libris series. None are high fantasy, but they are fast paced and well written fantasy (ok, the last one is not actually that well written... but it's so fast paced and so much cheesy fun that I personally didn't mind).
Kaylie (kat) If you want a good series, I would recommend the Girl of Fire and Thorns series. It's awesome. I would also recommend the Defy series. Both series are very similar to each other, though. They're still both amazing.
Image for Graceling