Thomas Wiley
Thomas Wiley asked:

Some feel this is Winton's best novel. Does anyone agree with that opinion?

To answer questions about Breath, please sign up.
Graham Bullen I had to think about this a little, purely because his other books are all so very good too. But yes, if you gauge the quality of a novel by impact it has on you as you read it, and the durability of those feelings it generated over the years that followed, I would say yes, it is his best book. The emotional impact is enormous; the scenes, one then the next, are all memorable; and not a word is wasted. Thank you for posing the question, it has really caused me to visit the book again in my head.
Glenn Definitely - This story is just so well crafted and easy to read. The characters are so alive. The movie of the book - while a very nice story itself - completely misses the point of this story. Tim Winton has some great novels but this must be considered with his very best
Boy Blue I think different Winton novels appeal to different people, as is the case with all books. I have one friend (who is an adrenaline junkie and surfer) who this really echoes with and another (who was never very outdoorsy or active growing up) who found it boring and gave up halfway through. I also think this story will resonate a lot more with men who grew up in similar situations than anyone else and in that sense the total audience who will love this book is much smaller than for many of his other works. While Breath is both beautiful and disturbing, Cloudstreet is definitely his magnum opus and his best and The Turning is probably the best way to sample his writing to see if you like it.
Linda Gaines No, I liked Eyrie better. I loved the DVD of Cloudstreet and am starting that novel next. I read The Riders years ago and need to re-read but I know I liked it a lot.
Peter De La Garde i liked - dirt music as well
Josie Yes, I do. With The Riders a close second. Breath is evocative, disturbing, and much more than you expect. I love the way he weaves the expanse of the Australian landscape into his stories, and how his characters unravel almost in real time.
Elen Ghulam I preferred Eyrie to this one. It is a very compelling read though.
Jennifer If I could I would only add one word, but the site won't let me, I have to add more detail. So if I could, I would only answer with a 'no'.
Image for Breath