Katie
Katie asked:

To answer questions about Twisted Fate, please sign up.
Aliza London I'll try to answer this as best as I can, but understand that this book is meant to be confusing and enigmatic in the end.

And this goes out to all those reading this answer before reading the book- STOP. This is a spoiler-filled answer and it will ruin the book for you.

They are both the same person. There's no doubt about it. However, while this should work in theory, the book is written in a manner that makes this impossible. There are many scenes, in fact, the whole book, where Syd and Ally have different descriptions, are talking to each other, and in different places at the same time that make it impossible for them to be the same person. You can say that they are both parts of her personality, but when they talk about each other, they don't say it in a way that implies that they are sisters; they make it so. Unlike other books that do things like this, like "We Were Liars" and "The Kiss of Deception", where they trick you by implying something that they never say, this book doesn't. Actually, Graham was the only one that actually alerted me to the possibility that they may be the same person.

In the end, it is my understanding that Allyson Sydney Tate(the one person) should have died after she dives in to save Graham after Syd hits him in the face. However, later, when the police chief describes the wetness in Graham's room, that is meant to be an unsolved mystery.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, but I could not find a rational explanation for the scenes that make it impossible for them to be the same person. Unless she had Multiple Personality Disorder or something else where she had an alternate personality that she thought was her sister, I don't know. However, this book is meant to be confusing and I suggest you just live with the confusion.

I know I haven't answered your question entirely, but I hope I helped. In case you're curious, my full review of this book can be found on musingsandbooks.wordpress.com.

P.S. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe either Allyson or Sydney is just an alternate personality or imaginary friend that Tate created. I still don't see how it works though.
Image for Twisted Fate