Jo
Jo asked:

1) Is this a good book? 2) Is it good for a fifth grader? 3) What is the genre?

To answer questions about The Giver, please sign up.
Nathan I read it the first time in 5th grade. I thought it was pretty good, but some of it was a bit over my head. I'm definitely appreciating it more as an adult. It's a little more along the lines of young adult, but I feel that someone as young as 11-13 could still enjoy much of it. The main character is of that age and it would be good for a pre-teen/teen to be able to connect with that character. To understand the emotions of that age and what was missing/discovered.

It is like Amariah described for the genre. I would add dystopian to that. Don't go in expecting a 100% happy-go-lucky book.
Addison Dixon by this time you may have already read it, but--in my opinion--it is a really good book. I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I definitely enjoyed it! :)
And it is futuristic, fantasy, science fiction and young adult.
Uuum . . . in regards to the second question--I suppose so, if they (or you) understand it. It's not much of a children's book necessarily.
Image for The Giver
by Lois Lowry (Goodreads Author)