Caitleen Desetti

Would you say this is a graphic novel for adults, or is it also accessible for kids? Specifically thinking about a nine-year-old boy.

To answer questions about March: Book One, please sign up.
Robin In my opinion, conversations about race and the Civil Rights Movement (one of the most important issues of our lifetimes) need to occur as soon as a child has the capacity to understand what that movement means to this country. The fact of it being a graphic novel (which is really a modern comic book), makes the issues presented accessible even to younger readers, even a curious nine-year-old.

IMO, "March" should be part of every public school curriculum, perhaps as early as fourth or fifth grade.
Petra The narration is set up with the congressman talking to two small boys. It is meant for both children and adults. There are some good lessons about education, such as John Lewis' story of sneaking off to school, such was he drive to get his education. This will be an interesting perspective for kids who might not appreciate school quite as much as they should.

It's a pretty fast read, so if you wanted to take a look at it before showing it to your kids, that's always a good idea.
Rachel Some of kids in my 5th & 6th grade book club read it. I'd say half of them had the context to understand it, and half of them were fairly confused. I think reading it together with a 4th grader would be perfect, because you could provide some context as you went along. It is totally "appropriate" as long as you are comfortable with your nine-year-old hearing a few swears and racial slurs.
Amelia I just finished reading this myself to see if it would be suitable for my eight-year-old daughter. I loved it and I think that the subject matter is totally age-appropriate. However a kid in the 8-10 age range may not have quite the perspective and comprehension level necessary to appreciate the text. I expect that most kids would find it accessible starting in the 10-13 range. --But of course that depends upon the kid.
Anjali You know, I learned about the Holocaust at 9 years old, in the fourth grade. I don't think anyone questioned if we were old enough to learn about that then. And in Germany, there are monuments and memorials everywhere, whereas here in the United States, we haven't fully acknowledged what happened here on our own soil. I think, until we take ownership of our history in the same way and teach it to our children early, we will never be able to move forward.
Jennifer Young adults, but not 9 year olds. I'd wait until 11 or 12
David I have read/seen interviews with John Lewis where he specifically cited making the story accessible to the younger generation was one of his goals with this project. That said, the target audience is middle school and high school students, not elementary, so the answer to your question is it depends on the student. Movie ratings tend to focus on violence, sex, drugs, and cursing -- out of those there is only violence, which is not explicit, but still can be shocking, because terrorism is designed to shock.
Eve I think that the most important thing to consider is maturity level if you're talking about one specific kid. In my opinion, it's imperative to teach kids about the injustice that has occurred in the past because it gives them the tools and the agency to get up and do something, even a small thing, that helps heal the injustices of the modern world. The only potentially hazardous thing about a child of this age reading the book is that a lot of racial slurs are used to illustrate the real struggle of the time, and depending on the kid, they may not be ready to hear that language because they don't yet have the comprehension skills to understand how toxic these words are.
The Joker Everything is accessible to kids if you try hard enough, indoxtronate them early that's my motto!
Judy My granddaughter who is 14 just read it, and didn't have the context for understanding and appreciating the magnitude of this book. If read with a class and a teacher's insight, it would work with 7th and up and I think.
Jennifer I just finished this series, and it was incredibly powerful and affecting. I would say, it is perfect for my 13-yr-old boy right now -- both in terms of comprehension of weighty topics and because he just studied the civil rights movement in History class this year, so he can understand the context around this book. I think it would be over the head of my 10-year-old, so to have her read it now, it wouldn't be as powerful as I think it will be for my older child. Out of the three books, Book One is definitely the most kid-friendly. Books Two and Three would be tough for my younger child to read right now, because the violence depicted is pretty intense. It really is a wonderful series though -I think it should be required reading in middle schools.
Steve I think it would be perfect for a 9-year-old. I considered reading it with my 6-year-old but I think he's just a little too young.
Lenore Sanborn I highly recommend for a 9-yr-old boy.
Eric March: Book Two was just nominated for an Eisner Award in the category of "Best Publication for Teens (ages 13-17)"
Image for March