Laura Anderson

Who are Edouard's decendants?? The book doesn't mention he and Sophie having children, nor him remarrying. And if I remember correctly - this is when I dislike the kindle, when I want to find something! - it refers to them as descendants, not simply relatives, which means they could be nephews. Certainly all the reviews and summaries use the word descendants, not relatives. This was a huge, gaping whole for me.

To answer questions about The Girl You Left Behind, please sign up.
Jessica Andersen I was under the impression they were nephews or maybe even related from someone before Sophie. Edouard definitely wasn't a Monk before he and Sophie married. But I always assumed they were nephews.
Angela I think you answered your own question. They did not have children. The people who were suing to get the painting were Edouard's family who are not in the story except to get the painting probably to sell for the money. Could be great-nephews, etc.
ANNE-CHRISTINE RICE I believe they were Aurelien's descendants. Aurelien was Helene's and Sophie's younger brother, and was very bitter.
Alexa
Pam Someone else mentioned they thought it was an error and was meant to say "ancestors".
Ansima Singh Sophie also had a child whom she leaves with Helene when she is taken away by the Germans. What happens to that child is not mentioned anywhere in the book except when Helene and family takes vacation to Swiss.
Image for The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes (Goodreads Author)