Angela Ryser
Angela Ryser asked:

Is this a stand-alone or do I need to read previous novels before this one?

To answer questions about Dreaming Spies, please sign up.
Bryan Higgs I just finished reading this book. I did feel the need to have read earlier books in the series (which I haven't) because there were references in the text to incidents in Mary's past that were mostly hinted at, but I would have liked to have understood. Since this is #13 in the series, it's not clear which of the earlier books might have filled in the necessary information.
I felt I could appreciate this book without that information, but I still felt I was lacking something.
CJ You can read it on its own, but it will reference other stories, and you won't get the richer background of seeing how the two protagonists have arrived at their unusual, but satisfying place in their relationship. I highly recommend "Beekeeper's Apprentice" and the two books that come right afterwards so you can see Mary Russell as a teen stuck in a less than ideal family situation when she very first meets Holmes. It's an excellent series all the way through and the very first ones are worth your time!! The order for the first few is "Beekeeper's Apprentice", "A Monstrous Regiment of Women", "A Letter of Mary, and "The Moor". Enjoy!!!
Marianne I would read from the beginning if you want to see how the relationship evolves, but i am sure you could read this and enjoy it without the backstory as well.
Judith Definitely start with the first and read as she has published. A very good series.
Angela Ryser Ladies, thanks so much for your input! I have decided to begin at the beginning with The Beekeeper's Apprentice.
Elyse I got this from NetGalley, not noticing it was #13 in the series. I decided to read it anyways. I'm more than halfway through at the moment and I don't feel like I'm missing anything and I don't feel lost. But I am definitely interested in reading the preceding titles because this book is good!
Sarah Hyser Thanks for letting me know it is part of the Mary Russell Novels. I will pick up the 1st one soon from the library.
Image for Dreaming Spies
by Laurie R. King (Goodreads Author)