Rachel
Rachel asked:

Have all of James Herberts books have graphic sexual details? Ive only started this book and read 'The Magic Cottage' which wasnt too bad, but horror wise it was great. But the sexual details i could really do without.

To answer questions about The Fog, please sign up.
Kyle Trimper Depictions of graphic sex and sexual horror is quite frankly one of James Herbert's trademarks, and one of the reasons he has become popular and well-esteemed in horror fiction. Almost every novel he has written is full of graphic depiction of lurid and sometimes deviant sex: even Once, which is supposed to be a light fairy story, is almost pornographic in nature. I'm not sure about Fluke, the one about the dog who is really a man, since it's one of the few James Herbert books I haven't read yet. Basically, if sexual details turn you off, perhaps James Herbert is not the author for you.
Larry Sadly yes. I always skip those scenes. They add nothing to the story and are irrelevant.
David Sherwin His earlier books had plenty of sexual scenes, quite often infused with some kind of violence, but as he grew and matured in his writing style, and tried other horror genres, he used it less and less. I think that's about right anyway, or though maybe just my opinion! :o)
Antonio Ippolito I agree with Graham Whatley: I haven't noticed such perverted twist in Herbert's novels, on the contrary; but I may have missed the books you read, as I read some in Italian translation, often abridged (Fog, Lair, Fluke, Survivor); those I've read in English (Moon, Creed, Nobody True) seemed not overly sexual to me
Checkman Lots of sex in most of his novels. Just the way he wrote.
Graham If memory serves, nearly all of the 11 earlier books I read featured at least one saucy scene (which was a plus for me, reading them in my late teens!). However, his style changed slightly around Moon; no sex (that I can recall) and much more of a classic horror/ghost story feel to them. Having said that, I haven't read any of his books since Haunted in 1988, so he may've re-introduced the steamier elements later on.
Image for The Fog