Arleen Henton
Arleen Henton asked:

Why was Daisy not content at the end of her life?

To answer questions about The Stone Diaries, please sign up.
Sandy
Ben Worsley That positively tore me up. Being a sentimental sap, the only rationalization I can give to keep that sentence from destroying my love of the book is to think it echoes the ideas that abound in the last several pages - that no person may be truly ready for death.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on that.
Jeanne Mixon The thing that really struck me at the end of her life was when she thought about how she knew she had been loved but no one had ever said I love you to her out loud and I thought maybe that was her greatest loss. She had lost her mother and really her father too at birth and she married a man who carelessly destroyed her incidentally with his own act of self destruction and then she was forced to marry her "cousin" of sorts in desperation to escape her father's home and her own scandal. so she never successfully chose love for herself and she says no one ever expressed love for her. She had her children and her "grandchild" Victoria, but apparently they were not enough. She never had the love of a parent and she never had the true love of a spouse.
Kathy I found the answer to this question in the wonderful letters from the 'witnesses' in her life when they were commenting on her depression. i loved this section; what a brilliant literary tool. The letter that resonated with me most was the 'old jew', who so emotionally articulated the loneliness and the sadness of the baby who was alone. i have since passed the book to a good friend (after reading it twice), but I believe the last line of his letter restated it. Research shows that a daughter without a mother is prone to depression more than others.
Image for The Stone Diaries