Alison
Alison asked:

my name is Alison Howard I have never read any books by Julian Barnes I was wondering what people think about his novel Arthur and George as I am watching the T.V. series can anyone tell me about any other books that Julian Barnes has written and are his novels good I hope someone can tell me if Arthur and George is well worth reading I really enjoy reading books?

To answer questions about Arthur & George, please sign up.
Marie (UK) this is not his best book there is too much wrapping and not enough content - the world in 10and a half chapter and the , sense of an ending far surpass this
Kathy B I too saw the PBS showing of Arthur and George, it's what made me want to read the book. You get more insight than the television program but it bogs down in the middle. I suppose that is why it has taken me so long to read it. There is too much about Sir Arthur, I wanted to know more about George and his family. It isn't a bad book just one of those you have to slog through to finish.
Sean Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes is a wonderful book, I literally couldn't put it down from starting it on a flight, through Customs at the the other end all the way to my hotel room, highly recommended. Arthur & George on the other hand I was mixed on to tell the truth, it was too biographical in my opinion, or perhaps it was my own expectations that were out of place.
Mangagirl Loved this book. The characters are drawn so well you know what they will do next. Slow in parts but you will want to know the ending. I'm reading more books by Julian Barnes on the strength of this one.
Martha Arthur and George is the only one of Barnes's novels I've really enjoyed. It's more complex than the TV series and definitely worth the read. His style and insights are good. My favorite Barnes is Nothing to Be Frightened Of which is nonfiction--a memoir/rumination about death that I've read three times and find compelling and comforting. One of my Goodreads 5-stars.
Michael The book tells the story equally from both men's perspective instead of filtering everything through Arthur like the tv series. I would say
I am preferring the book. I've not read anything else by Barnes.
Image for Arthur & George