Hannah Cattanach

Having read 'Day of the Triffids' and 'The Midwich Cukoos' the choice of title was completely clear. However in the case of 'The Chrysalids' I am none the wiser as to what the term/name Chyrsalids actually refer to. Any ideas?

To answer questions about The Chrysalids #3, please sign up.
Merriman Lyon A chrysalis is a stage of development for an insect from one form to another, usually juvenile to adult. So I am guessing Chrysalid is a (invented) word that echos this process.
This book is about changing states or evolution of species, predominantly human in this narrative. The constant changing of life and natural hierarchy. In nature nothing is static. Most of Wyndhams novels and short stories seem to flow with this in mind.
Kaylee A chrysalis (noun) is the pupa of a butterfly, but you can say "a butterfly is a chrysalid (adjective)" ie, an animal that goes through chrysalis. Chrysalid can also sometimes be used as a noun, but that wouldn't make sense in the title here, since the mutant humans never had an actual physical chrysalis (n). But you could call the mutant humans "chrysalids" (adj) since they have evolved to become something different from regular humans. So the title is basically calling them "mutants" without the negative connotations.
Dani Oooh, thanks for these answers. I thought it referred to the things like pupae at the end, which didn’t really make enough sense.
Stranger Unidentified I think that The Chrysalid symbolizes the society we will in today....
Image for The Chrysalids #3