Caz Copic
Caz Copic asked:

My 12 year old daughter is mad on vampires (of course!) and we are currently living in Serbia close to where much of this story is set, so I would love for her to read it. Do you think this is a suitable read for a 12 year old? ie. does it contain graphic sex scenes or really violent scenes? Any advice appreciated.

To answer questions about Kiss of the Butterfly, please sign up.
James Lyon Kiss of the Butterfly is too mature for a 12-year old. Although there are no sex scenes or nudity, human sexual relations are alluded to. There are several scenes where the violence/gore factor is a bit bloody -- after all, this is a vampire novel. Nonetheless, the gore is minimal. More importantly, there are some scary places that could leave certain younger readers sleepless for several nights. The book also alludes to or directly discusses a number of mature, adult themes, such as displacement, estrangement, refugees, ethnic cleansing, and other topics that are probably not suitable for a 12-year old. However, adults and young adults (15+) have thus far found it suitable.
Kendra Actually, I would think it depends on the maturity of your 12 year old and how much you discuss with adult themes. I would have been fine reading it at 10 years old, since my folks were blunt and upfront with us. They never refused to answer a question, so it was essentially a non-issue.
Image for Kiss of the Butterfly
by James Lyon (Goodreads Author)