kayla ollivierre

What does it feel like to be an author?

To answer questions about Age of Empyre, please sign up.
Michael It is, without question, the best "job" in the world. I put job in quotes because it doesn't feel like work. Writing is my favorite thing to do and I would do it even if I didn't earn anything. Heck, if there was a tax that had to be paid in order to write, I'd work two jobs to pay it so I could pound away at the keys. The fact that I can make a living from doing what I love the most is just incredible, and I never lose sight of the readers who make it possible to live the life I do.

All that being said, it's not all roses and rainbows. It does take a lot of time. I write everyday, and am usually "working" 24 x 7 as even when not at the keyboard, I'm usually working on a plot point or doing research. Heck, even when I'm reading or watching a movie, it's fodder for the creative muse. So I'm essentially at my job every waking minute - and sometimes even when I sleep.

I also am committed to a state of constant improvement in both the art of story telling and the mechanics of writing. So that is "kinda" like a job in that I'm always looking to get to the next level. The difference is I'm in competition only with myself, not the guy in the next cubicle that is up for the same job.

I'm sure every author feels differently. I've heard of those that struggle with writer's block or have problems motivating themselves to write. I've never experienced either of those things. Sure I get stuck now and then, but they are short-lived. As for "putting my butt in the chair" I've often said, "How do children find the discipline to play their favorite game?" I feel like that...like a child playing my favorite game without worry or concern.

I highly recommend such a lifestyle. Thanks for asking.
Image for Age of Empyre
by Michael J. Sullivan (Goodreads Author)