Melissa Kirsch

This book has me riveted. It was a slow burn to start but I'm completely swept up in the creepy murder investigation now. I'd love recommendations for other not-pulpy, "true crime" nonfiction books like this one?

Emily Ghettoside by Jill Leovy. In Cold Blood, obvs. The Book of Matt by Stephen Jimenez. Columbine by Dave Cullen. Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink. The Dead Girl by Melanie Thernstrom. Can you tell I'm a bookseller? ;)
Holly Unsure if it counts, but I particularly enjoyed The Devil in the White City.
Amy I'm reading "The Monster of Florence" by Douglas Preston and loving it.
Amaya People Who Eat Darkness: The Fate of Lucie Blackman
by Richard Lloyd Parry
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...
Yesenia I read both "The Monster of Florence" and "People who Eat Darkness". Both are highly recommended! Both are about serial murders, and "People Who Eat Darkness" is about Western girls acting as sort of escorts in Japan who were killed by a serial killer. Unlike this book which focuses on the victims, the other two paid more attention to the police, the suspect, the culture and society, and arguably not enough attention on the victim.

Also, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is a delicious read! It's a "non-fiction fiction" and has a better literary value than others -- Capote is one of the most brilliant American writers after all! Capote spent a lot of time with the killers and there was a rumor that he was in love with one of them.... His book provides a perspective from the murderers, so quite unique in that sense.

Another true-crime nonfiction I loved is "Columbine" by Dave Cullen. Maybe because I'm about the same age as the killers and I'm familiar with the social and cultural environment they were in (they were, for the most part, grew up as an average American kid), so the mystery of why they committed such crime is more interesting to me (whereas a lot of other crimes/killers feel foreign to me).

Hope that helps!
Lisa I'd try (1) American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land , (2) The Grim Sleeper: The Lost Women of South Central, & (3) The Cadaver King and the County Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South!
Bettye McKee Check out RJ Parker Publishing's website. Also books by Robert Keller. Those are shorter reads. For full-length stories, try Kevin Sullivan, Steve Jackson, Ryan Green, William Phelps, Caitlin Rother, Carlton Smith, Greg Olsen, Thomas H. Cook. Karen Kingsbury wrote four excellent true crime stories which can be purchased in one volume. And don't miss House of Evil by John Dean and A Death in White Bear Lake.
Roberto Definitely Mindhunter by John Douglas has to be a follow-up to this reading. I did it reading first MH and then this, still strongly impressed...
Marni Schribman Yes, Devil in the White City was awesome!!! Pretty much any book by Erik Larson will keep you interested.
Michael It's not a book but there was a documentary series on Netflix last year called Making a Murderer that was one of the most riveting I've seen of this genre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_...
Image for Lost Girls
by Robert Kolker (Goodreads Author)