Biblio Curious

Generally, would this be age appropriate for pre-teens?

To answer questions about The Humans, please sign up.
Tucker No. Unless they are extremely precocious, pre-teens wouldn't understand the level of satire. It's about an alien who gradually learns to be human, written in a style of anthropological observation. It's really about how a person who feels "different" or "alienated" might struggle to figure out "the rules of life," particularly in that part of the process that continues in middle age and later years. In large part, it's about spousal fidelity and overcoming years of strained relationships. There is a teenage character, but the story isn't told from his perspective; it's about how the alien tries to relate to him as a parent.
Sophie Campbell Depending on how old you consider pre-teen (12?) I read this book when I was thirteen and loved it. I (think) I understood all of the philosophical concepts and I am now reading 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder and am also thoroughly enjoying that. The Humans is now my favourite book, but I'd say 13 if the concerned 'pre-teen' is well-read and has read books like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.
Eileen That would depend on the type of child.
Erica Sure. I would have enjoyed it at that age.

There's some sexuality, which some parents might choose to nix for their kids, but it's no more graphic than a Judy Bloom book, and is presented in an empathetic way. As was the other serious subject matter. Kids are savvy and non-oblivious; it's hard to imagine even a highly sheltered kid fainting dead away (or interpreting any content in a way that would lead to a damaging personal outlook) reading any portion of this book.

It's also a very quick read so if you'd prefer to see if it meets your criteria for what's appropriate for your kid it's not a huge time investment to read it yourself first.

And pre-teens might be more forgiving of the Vox-listicle element toward the end of the book that I found a bit pat & cloying.
Image for The Humans
by Matt Haig (Goodreads Author)