Kerrikoala
Kerrikoala asked:

Somebody please help me understand what is going on in "I Can See Right Through You"! Why is it sometimes in second person, sometimes not?

To answer questions about Get in Trouble, please sign up.
Brendan Link likes to play with verb tense and person in her stories--off the top of my head, both the title story and "Lull" in Magic For Beginners do similar things--and I don't know if there is a single specific reason for it. It's more interesting, to me, to think about the effects.

For instance, the fluid shift between second and third person makes the narrative seem breezy compared to its somewhat grim subject matter, as if it's part of a story being told aloud in an interview by a tired person who loses track of how close to the story they are. Also, a lot of the second-person pieces are imperatives; maybe that's where we actually get to hear the protagonist thinking, trying to force himself to get it together--and having trouble with the slippery dual nature of the character he's played and the actor he actually is, or was. Then there's the matter of a character in the story who never actually appears "onscreen," but whose presence both figuratively and literally haunts it. What if that character is watching the protagonist, sometimes observing him in the third person, sometimes addressing him in the second?

I'm sure there are more interpretations, and maybe a more structured reason behind them, but those are the ones that suggested themselves to me. This is a good question! Thank you for making me examine that aspect of the story more closely.
Shay Caroline Because the author is freaking annoying and toys with her readers.
Image for Get in Trouble