Rosemary
Rosemary asked:

If you have read the Sparrow and Children of God, how do this book and its sequel compare? I LOVED those books, so, while I'm not a big Western fan, I am intrigued by the possibilities and by Russell's exquisite writing.

To answer questions about Doc, please sign up.
Mackay Don't think of this as a "western," like Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey. Think of it as a historical novel that happens to take place in the West. The heart and soul of this book should not be dismissed because Russell found compelling characters in Dodge City.
Samantha That's great to know because that's exactly what I thought - I love Sparrow and Children of God but I don't like Westerns. So I will have to check Doc out :)
Anna I would have to agree with Mackay. This isn't a western genre novel. It is good historical fiction about a very interesting person in American history.
Brandon The Sparrow is my favorite book, and Children of God was exceptionally well written as well. I haven't yet finished Doc, but I am nearing the end, and while not usually a Western fan either, I am absolutely loving it. The writing itself is at least as good as in The Sparrow, maybe even better, if that's possible, and I have come to love the characters, finding my emotions going up and down along with theirs. I can't wait to start on Epitaph now that it has been released.
Anne Her writing is excellent, I also read The Sparrow, Children of God and Thread of Grace years ago. We read Doc for book club a couple years ago I enjoyed it a lot. Just added Epitaph to my "want to read" list!
Tlanci More novel than historical; but as well written. While less unique than her other books like amazing "The Sparrow" and "Children of God", definitely worth a read. Note: I'm not a fan of Westerns, but read it because she wrote it.
Image for Doc
Doc
by Mary Doria Russell (Goodreads Author)