Goodreads asked Elaine Cougler:

Elaine Cougler Life is full of other people who either encourage or discourage us as we come to realize who we are and what our dreams might be. Given a choice, I think we'd all like to be with those who inspire us.

That being said writers, whether published or not, can become discouraged by flippant comments, so much so that fledgling writers sometimes let others' negativity slow them down and even stop them from doing what they love.

I noticed that just as I had to go through a period of being comfortable with identifying myself as a writer/author, so also did those around me change in their attitudes as I pushed ahead on my journey. Most people were gracious and interested in my work for the six years my first book took to bring to the publishing market. A few, however, were somewhat dismissive. Luckily none were out and out unkind.
That all changed once The Loyalist's Wife was published. The phone started to ring with requests for interviews and speaking engagements and books sold very well. The proof seemed to be in that hold-in-your-hand book.
For aspiring writers that means that you must follow your dream and ignore the little naysayer guy perched on your shoulder. Do what you love and do it well.
Oh. And find a family of other writers who are on the same journey.