marissa
marissa asked:

Would someone how enjoys romantic 19th century lit IE Jane Austen the Bronte sisters like this?

To answer questions about Far From the Madding Crowd, please sign up.
Jendela Tryst I absolutely loved it. I usually avoid Hardy because his books are often terribly dark, but this was written early in his career, I believe when he still had some hope left. It is extremely ahead of its time with a spirited and intelligent female protagonist.
Grace I would give you a tentative yes. Hardy focuses on the human characters, but landscape is another character in itself. Vivid descriptions of nature and the countryside sometimes take up a few paragraphs throughout his novels. If you don't have patience for description you might not enjoy Hardy. However, Hardy is a master of description!
I personally really enjoy Hardy's writing style. His characters are interesting and, I think, very real. The names he gives his characters are also symbolic of their personality.
Lance Greenlee This is NOT on the same shelf as Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, or Wuthering Heights. It may be comparable to Persuasion.
Virginia If you like Austen and the Brontes because of the stirring dialogue and the strong female characters, then maybe not. The female protagonist is described as strong and independent, but then behaves in a totally opposite fashion. She's a bit like a Helen Huntingdon, but without the strength of character or the excuse of naivete.
Carol I think you'd love it. I just started reading it, yet have struggled with reading Jane Austen and I find this an easier, yet totally enjoyable period novel. Hardy's a beautiful writer and as another has pointed out, his descriptions are vivid, whether it be the landscape of southern England or a shepherd's hut. Excellent characters.
Mark D I like it more, possibly because it's written by a man. I don't wish to be sexist or anything but I think you can tell it's a male author, even though the story is principally centred around a woman. Plus I love all the countryside characters (mostly male) and the way they talk.
Susan Zinner I really like Hardy and LOVE Jane Austen and like some of the Bronte sisters' works (dislike "Wuthering Heights," but love "Jane Eyre"). I found "Far from the Madding Crowd" to be an easier read than "Jude the Obscure" or "The Mayor of Casterbridge," BUT "The Mayor of Casterbridge has a GREAT plot! Try it! :)
Selena I would say yes. Although - his style of writing tends to be very wordy and descriptive but not in a Dicken's way. He tends to blah blah blah a lot then get back to the point. A lot of readers love the way he writes and so do I, but it was a little slow at the beginning.
Stick with it, the character development is great and the story about being sheep farmers was soooo interesting to me.
Lauren I think they're pretty different (this is less overtly elegant, but often more touching, IMHO). But the romance in the story grabbed me in the same way the one in P&P did. So, did you end up reading it?
Nada Adel Sure. But beware that Thomas Hardy's language can be a bit difficult to comprehend but it's also easy to guess what he's trying to say. And when you do understand it, you'll truly enjoy it. He tends to be a bit witty and sarcastic.
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth It's got the humor, the great characters, the strength and psychology of Jane Austen, as well as good writing (though not really in her style). It's got the naturalism, poetry, setting, and melodrama of the Brontes.
Ann So far am having no problems with the language. I am loving it, in fact! I admit I went to see the film before I started the book, but for once the movie is actually enhancing the reading experience. How rare is that?!
Image for Far From the Madding Crowd