Cassandra
Cassandra asked:

Does anybody know how accurate this book is? Mythology and folklore is deeply fascinating to me, but this is my first in-depth foray into the belief systems of North American natives. I googled some of the characters in the myths for more info, but I find no reference to them except from this book. Specific examples that I can remember are Machinitou and the Puck-wud Jinnies. What's the deal?

To answer questions about Native American Myths, please sign up.
Emily Van Coolput Well how accurate are you ever going to be when writing down oral traditions coming from another culture and language, and which have probably been altered a fair bit over time? The puck-wud Jinnies are the same creatures as the puckwudgies that have been somewhat popularised by JK Rowling; probably at some point someone heard the word and made a connection that actually doesn't exist with the (d)jinnies they'd heard of somewhere else. However, this is certainly not a scientific book, just a collection of stories from a variety of areas and population groups; my guess is they're probably "authentic" all in all, but I wouldn't, for instance, use this as a reference for a dissertation on the subject.
Image for Native American Myths
by Jake Jackson (Goodreads Author)