Most of the reviews I've read have been from females (I think) and I'm a little worried that that might be the demographic this book (series) is geared towards. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just don't think I fit into that demographic right now. As a female what did you like about this book and how did you "guys" out there like it?

To answer questions about The Demon King, please sign up.
Milo Pringiers I don't see how people can categorize books for females or males i mean we all have different interests. Its a book with a dash of suspense, a sprinkle of romance but a ton of adventure. It doesn't depend on the Gender but more to what are your interests.
Xiola If you don't like reading about girls, then the chapters about the girl might take a bit of getting used to, but at least half of the chapters are about the male protagonist. They both have different points of view and totally different characters and are written differently; yes there is more focus on romance in the girl's chapters, partially because of the culture she is surrounded in, but there is almost none in the boy's chapters, because largely he is concerned with survival. The male character is likeable and sometimes charming but he's not written as a "boyfriend type", and doesn't get very romantic in his thoughts at all; mainly in this book he is concerned with survival, his family, and his friends. (I read a review that said that the fights the male characters get in are weird and unprovoked, which worried me in the beginning, but after reading it I didn't feel that way at all; I think they may have judged based on the first few chapters - there is certainly a confrontation in one of the first few chapters where the main characters seem to overreact to a situation, which gets them into a mess, but it does not go unexplained; the context for that reaction is explained later on... the main guy is a bit impulsive throughout the story but this didn't bother me as he wasn't inconsistently written and the way he reacted fit with his character; the girl was impulsive too, it's probably the main thing the two main characters have in common).

If nothing else it's enjoyable for it's world-building. It manages to pack a ton of coherent believable detail about the world while remaining clear and well-paced and not getting bogged down in lengthy exposition paragraphs.

It's also quite action-based and quick, with a nice amount of suspense/tension.

One of the strengths of this book and it's world building IMHO is that the story doesn't shy away from discussing (actual politics that go well beyond "courtly intrigue" crap). Likewise, the reason I warmed up to the female character is that, naive or not, she gives a shit about worldly politics. That, more than the romance, gave her bonus points in my book. There are characters in this book from every station in life and the class politics are strong and well-explored and believable. In the second book we learn more about how the politics of the other realms affect each other and the characters. I am halfway through book 2 now and any mentions of romance are still only an underscore to the main story which is far more concerned with plot, character building, world building, politics, and action than romance, IMHO.

I think the main difference between this book and male-targeted fantasy is that the female protagonists get to be real protagonists and are equal with the male characters, and that the point of view of the female protagonist is perhaps more relatable to young adult women than the relegated-to-a-side-character women in many male-targeted fantasy novels. Other than that the story itself is very strong and not a romance or a "girly" book.

I'd say it's well balanced, gender-wise, and probably more suited to male fantasy readers than the average female-authored fantasy; there ARE female protagonists and girly things but they don't take up more than their fair share of the story; one person replied that there is a lot of fanservice but IMHO there is no more fanservice for girls in this book than there is fanservice for guys in male-authored fantasy, and it goes the other way around too since there is a male protagonist as well as a female one; in fact, the only one who has sex is the male character and it's with a side character (it's non-graphic, and not a lot of words are wasted on it and it's neither objectifyingly casual nor particularly romantic). The female character only gets some kissing scenes but they actually relate to the plot later down the line.

EDIT: later on, when the two storylines finally overlap midway through book 2, there is more emphasis on romance than had been in the story previously so while the political intrigue/plot/action is still strong it feels a little more "girly" to me at this point, due to the romance actually becoming a bit more of the plot instead of just a sideline. I still think it's worth it for the rest of it because the story and character backgrounds and development are really strong, but if you wanted to avoid female-POV romance elements completely then I would wait on this one until you're in the mood to have a bit of tolerance for it.
Jim I thought this was fantastic. One of the best series of books I've read over the last few years. Chima's writing is amazing and she really brings characters to life. Yes, the romance element is there, but this is primarily a fantasy book and the romance really serves to root the characters to reality and bring this to life. Would recommend this to anyone of any gender who likes fantasy.
Russel A bit late but I'm a male and I thought the entire series amazing. Well written and deeply intriguing.
Dennis Andreasen I had the same thought - that this was indeed a book series made for the female population. Since English is my 2nd language I can usually still read the YA books without it being too "soft" The Demon king series has a nice plot - its a good story. But the romance element and general focus points are definitely geared towards women. Toe cringy stuff. This is the first time I have come across a book I wish had been written by another author. With this plot it could have been very good.

The interesting parts of the book - the male protagonist pretty much gets written out of the books, its a shame since him and crow for me should have been the bread and butter of the story - not some teen princess who gets increasingly annoying. Not too mention how naive the good guys are.

The above relates to the series as a whole - the first book is fairly well balanced, but by the time you get to the 3rd, the girly stuff and general writing is going to be a big let-down.

Demon cycle, kingkiller chronicles, Demons of astlan, way of kings - etc are my recommendations for people who thinks of taking up this series.
Stephen Chambers I am a teenage guy who likes to read fantasy and adventure stories with small bit romance and a good enough amount of suspense. To me this book is great from the plot to the characters background and history layout this book is for all genders and relates to both genders throughout the entire series.
Hanako This is a dual perspective book and one of the two perspectives is a guy. I know a lot of "girl books" have romance as a main trait, and as of this book romance is not a central plot element. I haven't read the rest of the series yet.

I looked at your read shelf and saw that you had read the Green Rider series. Did you consider that as geared towards women? It looked like you liked it regardless. I wouldn't say that this book is any more geared towards women then the Green Rider books. (Although, it is YA fantasy instead of adult fantasy).
Lemons and Ink Oftentimes in books characters that are written to be attractive to the opposite sex can come across as inauthentic or objectified to readers of the same sex. This sometimes makes romances hard for me to get invested in (especially from a female PoV), but this series never gave me any trouble in that regard. There are several characters, both male and female, who are meant to be attractive, but this never came at the expense of strong independent characterization and I ended up very much enjoying the central romance from both partners' PoVs. If anything, by the end I wanted significantly more time devoted to romance.
At the end of the day, I suppose I'd like people to stop pretending that there are such things as the monolithic "Female Perspective" or "Male Audience" and just see for themselves what things they like. But setting that aside, for me the Seven Realms series avoided the major barriers of entry I sometimes feel with fiction marketed primarily towards girls and women. Even if you're concerned this story might be somehow "too girly" for you, I'd recommend giving it a try anyways; I think you'll find it's actually quite unisex.
Matthew Smith I really enjoyed it. Don't worry too much about demographics. I listen to Lana Del Ray with no shame lol. Don't trip, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it.
Christopher Johnson The world building and plot are fantastic (it's what got me through it). The romance end was pretty annoying for me...WAY too much emphasis on kissing, etc. Although it's been a few months and I am starting to think about trying book 2 (because of the elements I did like).
PA Fohn Great point....I personally CANNOT STAND these ''horror/werewolf'' books about females desires to ''be intimate'' w/ a beast! It is so pathetic we live in a MATRIARCHY, however NPC's & typical sleeple (still) believe 'the West' is a patriarchy.....just look at culture, and especially books/hollywood/entertainment and 90% is written for (or about) wah ♂ .
Of course comments on this intelligent/truthful question will be answered by 'strong independent women'...who are actually angry, solipsistic, mean, and lost. Sad--even thoughtful, cautiously written questions are taken completely out of context. Females WILL be upset by just about ANYTHING that is male focused (pro man) OR even geared/written for mans deeper, 3D intellect. THOTs begone!
Alexander Graeme I Thought it was a really good book, I Like Cuffs better but I Don't see How a book could be towards boys or girls. This is truly a five star book.
Patricio Sosa En esta historia se nos muestran dos puntos de vista, la historia de Han Alister y la de la Raisa, en la cual para mi la historia de Han es mas emocionante y algo trágica, mientras que la de Raisa es un poco mas sosa y lenta de digerir, sin embargo una ves te hayas acostumbrado a los protagonistas, podrás disfrutar una historia emocionante y llena de sorpresas
Flaffy So as a female I think this book definitely is for the young adult female, it's got that feel to it. When I say that feel, I mean those fluffs. You can kinda tell, especially in movies and television when something is being fluffed or in anime it would be called fanserviced in which they incorporate certain scenes just to capture audience or gain approval. This novel definitely hit the mark with girls by use of characters. It's not that the book is for girls it's just sort of targeted towards us in a way that is a little too obvious. I guess you would call it male role in female demographic? It's not that the characters are girly or anything its just the situations that happen, coupled with the female characters interaction with the male characters tend to be what I would like to see. I felt this book was like a dream, I love books like this because they bring to life the little fantasy I used to enact when I was younger. It gives me a nostalgic feel and I think alot of girls can relate in that aspect, not necessarily to the book but to the way the story plays out and the situations that occur. Instead of a lost princess it's a lost prince. This book is also not too mature either so that also helps with those feels. I don't know how men would like it but I'm certain your average girl would enjoy it very much.
Image for The Demon King
by Cinda Williams Chima (Goodreads Author)