Debbie
Debbie asked:

Does this book get better? I am about 75 pages in and so far nothing is grabbing me. Does this book get better or should I throw it against the wall now cursing the name of the bookseller in Miami Beach who recommended it to me? Its not horrible, its just kinda boring, not very well written and nothing of interest has happened yet.

To answer questions about The Heart Has Its Reasons, please sign up.
Maritily I give books 100 pages. Usually by then, most books get interesting. This one took (for me) until the mid-point (about 250 pages). Then I did like it a lot, but not as much as her previous book.

Awwwtrouble I would say the ending is pretty much the same as the beginning - no, it doesn't get better. Perhaps you grow to care more about the characters, but I didn't.
Erin I read the entire book and I would tell you that it doesn't get any better.
Isabel To me it was the other way round. I liked it at the start...it got worse...but everybody is different.
CriminalRepurcussions Debbie, If you need to seek, reassurance from anonymous people so as to make your decision to persist or not, perhaps read something lighter.
Some books are worth the work of persisting with.
It's not a lighthearted read. It contains history, different cultures, people on missions of discovery, and it's written magnificently, it's literary fiction, it isn't Mills & Boon easyread.
It's a usual expectation that book 2 be as good or as easy or as same as book 1, but a second book harder to live up to book 1 in many authors' cases. Example: The Dry, by Harper, book 1, outstanding, prizewinning: her second book awful, messy and silly. Very hard to live up to initial success because people have expectations, such as comment by Badger.
After cursing the bookseller you mention, instead why not get your money's worth and finish it, and make up your own mind, you might like it - or not - but at least you'll find out?
Badger Debbie,
I am where you are. Page 79 and can't get into it. Am about to give it up, but will try a bit more. Such a disappointment. Totally lacks the interesting historical settings and locations of The Time In Between.
Image for The Heart Has Its Reasons