Miranda Webb
Miranda Webb asked:

How accurate is this: "Imagine a mash up of Moby-Dick and Kafka's Metamorphosis (with a hearty dash of Twin Peaks thrown in), and you'll begin to get an idea of what Shields's ambitious tale of disenchantment sets out to do." ?

To answer questions about The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac, please sign up.
Sharma Thank you for the question! I love this description of the book, and I think it's spot on regarding the central character's focused ambition and the novel's general wackiness, but I have to admit I've never read Moby Dick or The Metamorphosis. I have, however, watched the hell out of Twin Peaks, and I've been attracted to David Lynch's dark surreality ever since I was first introduced to it in junior high. And Lynch is also so great at humor, and I love that humor/horror combo (one of the reasons I love the author Shirley Jackson). I really do mean to get around to reading Kafka one of these days. Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading is one of my favorite novels, and rumor goes that it borrows heavily from Kafka's The Castle...
Marion I am currently reading this book and have been trying to "place" it somewhere. There! You did it! Huh . . I feel better
Image for The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac
by Sharma Shields (Goodreads Author)