Joanie
Joanie asked:

Has anyone who has read this book also read Terror by Dan Simmons? The descriptions of these two books are very similar. Is it worth reading both?

Andrea It's apples and oranges, really. In the Kingdom of Ice is a non-fictional account of an actual tragedy, and The Terror is fictional survivor story with supernatural elements based on speculation around true events. I recommend to go with both. I wouldn't say that reading one would be like reading all of them. Polar exploration is a fascinating subject, and often tragic one, and there are numerous books out there about different expeditions into the area that go along similar circumstances (stuck in ice, starvation, tracking across snowy wilderness, etc.) . Each has something to offer. I hope you find these books enjoyable.
Katherine The Terror put me in the place of those explorers. I felt like I was with them on the journey...the cold...the fear...the loneliness.

Reading that book led me to want to read "In the Kingdom of Ice" in order to get a sense of what polar exploration was REALLY like at that time. I think that the author of The Terror got a lot right.
Janice I've read The Terror, and it is VERY different from this book. The Terror has some possibly supernatural things going on. It really approaches the subject in a much more "fictional" way, if that makes any sense. It does depict something of the anguish of the polar explorers when they're freezing and starving in the cold and dark.

If you're looking to get a feel for the polar experience and a bit of a horror thrill too, read The Terror. If you're interested in a narrative about actual polar exploration which also contains a lot of info on the theories and ideas of the time, read In the Kingdom of Ice.

If you want to read an amazing book on the OTHER end of the world, read Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, by Alfred Lansing. I listened to that on audio, and was up till 3 in the morning, because I couldn't turn it off. :)

Image for In the Kingdom of Ice