Painter9300
Painter9300 asked:

When Hilal is at the frozen fountain with Coelho and Tatiana he refers to her praying as a."ritual" which seems insulting to one whose heart and soul are open and praying to the almighty. He continues and calls her praying a cliche which seems to be out of step with the spirit of the book. Why is it a cliche?

To answer questions about Aleph, please sign up.
David Quintero I believe Coelho felt up until that moment that Hilal was trying too hard to appeal to him, she thought of doing something 'spiritual' to get his approval, perhaps. And also, there was what Hilal perceived to be the threat of Tatiana, who (also up until this point) Coelho perceived she regarded as a rival (for his attention).

This is why he sees the ritual as cliché. But it all turned around when he saw that the moment had a profound effect upon Tatiana, he no longer thought of the moment as cliché. The two women hugged and became friends.

I guess Coelho understood a spiritual truth for himself at that moment. That what he might have judged as cliché from a position of superiority, could be exactly the medicine to soothe the pain of Tatiana's soul. This is why he is sure to express how crudely he regarded the situation at first, and how mistaken he might have been.
Azalea I thought the same. Nothing cliche at all. Bizarre I would say.
Ratih Lee can you suggest me to find the source of Aleph in English translation? I only find it in portugese and spanish...
Image for Aleph
by Paulo Coelho (Goodreads Author)