Richard Harvey

was anyone disappointed by his dislike of the greeks?

To answer questions about The Pillars of Hercules, please sign up.
Didier Delahaye Well, I'll concur. The xenophobic one is the author who comes across as a total uneducated moron. So much for the great Paul Theroux. And the Greeks are but one of the many disappointing parts in this sham of a travelogue. Shame on you really, Mr Theroux, and the odd bookish parts to elevate the tale only come across as vain and pompous. Contractual obligations to an editor who, like many others including me, has come to expect so much better from you?
PS always have been a huge fan. Less so after reading this mess.
Ralph Lavelle Yes - it was nasty. Don't know what happened there. He made no attempt to interact with anyone they way he had with virtually every other place he went to, and in fact barely got off the boat enough to bother with the country or the people.

Greece is one of the friendliest places on earth; I've been there enough times to know that. So, while I admire him now (this was my first travel book of his) I'm wary and a bit distrustful of him too.
Image for The Pillars of Hercules