Sandra Walsh
Sandra Walsh asked:

The story was a good premise, but I feel the author was really pleased with his writing. That the sentences became exhaustingly contrived. Anyone else feel that way?

To answer questions about TransAtlantic, please sign up.
Loree Harrell So much about writing (life) is about rhythm. The people we instinctively know could be great friends, before we even can claim to know them, carry a compatible rhythm we immediately recognize. Writing is the same. No one book is for every person, and every book is going to annoy the heck out of someone while it delights another. TransAtlantic rang clear perfect for me and I closed it with regret.
Frank Parker For me it is the sentence construction that writers like this use that is most pleasing. It adds immensely to the mood the writer is trying to create. If you want a piece of genre fiction that rattles along at the pace of a horse race, don't read books by the kind of writer who regularly gets nominated for the great literary prizes like Mann Booker (this one was long-listed in 2013, to my mind it ought to have gone further though I'd have to check to see what titles made the short list!) If, however, you want something more thoughtful, that seeks to illuminate the events of history and the people touched by those events, few do that better than Colum McCann.
Image for TransAtlantic
by Colum McCann (Goodreads Author)