Emilly R
Emilly R asked:

I enjoyed reading the "Poisonwood Bible" very much,my question is why so many antichristians comments here?

To answer questions about The Poisonwood Bible, please sign up.
David It's easy to like a book we agree with, or that supports our world view, and also easy to dislike a book that challenges our beliefs and values. I guess it comes down to WHY we read. To affirm who we already are? To experience diverse viewpoints? Or to simply to enjoy good writing, or a good story, and let it be just that...a story? I identify as a Christian, and I enjoyed this book very much. No doubt there are people like Nathan Price...just as there are many people NOT like him. (Brother Fowles, for example.) It's a big, wide world.
Tyson Gibson As the son of a Baptist preacher, I had some personal stake in this book. Though no longer Christian myself, I love my family and see a lot of good that flows out of their religious view of the world. However, I am distinctly aware of its limitations as well and have witnessed extremists first hand. Kingsolver's unflinching and unapologetic exploration of the "dark side" of Christianity (every religion has one, in my opinion) opens up a much needed dialogue about the dangers of zealotry; however, this dialogue may come with its own dark side of unleashing frustrations that many of us have toward a closed world view.
Farouq Taj I think the book highlights the destructive effects of religious fanaticism. An open minded reader will understand that the character of Nathan Price is not representative of all Christians. Sadly a lot of readers have allowed their prejudices to cloud their judgement when reviewing this book.
Fred Stuppy Nathan Price was a southern Preacher who went too far in his teachings, their is a middle road we all need to travel. I identify as a christian and enjoyed the book also. Although not a historically accurate book it does point out the problems of america and other countries trying to force their ways on other countries and the destruction it causes
Phyllis I loved the book but I'm not a christian, at least not at the moment. Religion and faith are areas that I struggle with. I prefer having a solid philosophical point of view in order to live a good life than living a "religious" life and considering myself good. I know that's over simplied and this book was by no means simplistic. I thought it had a great story to tell and the writer successfully grappled with the religious / faith struggles that many of the characters in the book had.
Sall
Martha Klein I don't think this book is anti-Christian per se. I think it gives great respect to certain forms of Christianity, expanding our ideas of what those might be. Stubbornness, closed-mindedness, lack of care for family and others--these are not what I consider to be real Christianity and certainly are not Jesus-like. We should never let ourselves be misled by people who are unloving and doctrinaire.
Roderick Brentnall Because when you treat a book or a story based on a belief but yet treat it as if it were fact many will find your opinions offensive. It's called being rational. Something a Christian rarely knows anything about.
Death Girl (Scarlett) This is a GREAT question! I love to read books from all different points of view and although I didn't agree with the view of Nathan Price I still enjoyed it and am still enjoying it BECAUSE of that.
Image for The Poisonwood Bible