Poppy
Poppy asked:

Which translation of this book would you say was the best? I bought the Leonard Tancock translation from a charity shop, and just wondered which you guys thought would be the best to read?

To answer questions about Thérèse Raquin, please sign up.
David Johnson Publication history from Wikipedia [English translations only]:
1867, France, Lacroix, December 1867, hardback
1887, Translation by Ernest Alfred Vizetelly
1962, Penguin Classics translation by L. W. Tancock
1992, Oxford World's Classics translation by Andrew Rothwell
1995, Penguin Classics translation by Robin Buss
2013, Vintage (Random House) translation by Adam Thorpe
Obtain the last four listed translations from your library and compare a random chapter or two. See which you perfer avoid any with anchrononistic language [idioms]. See if you can determine why Penguin replaced the Tancock with Buss.
John Snow Tancock's translation of Therese Raquin was the first Zola I read, and I still have my copy! I think we owe Dr. Tancock quite a bit for bringing five Zola into English for the general reader. I do not agree entirely with Kevin's point below, inasmuch as Tancock was trying very hard to get the English equivalent of Zola's "shocking" language (eg. LAssomoir). Robin Buss, in his version of Therese, takes a pot shot at Tancock, which is unprofessional and rather self-centred. I have a personal boycott on Buss's translations. (If Monte Cristo is to be read in a creaky, older translation, so be it.)
Kevin Jagernauth The Leonard Tancock translation feels a bit "loose" or contemporary, to the point where I wondered if the original text is that prurient and direct or if he was taking some liberties.

Would be interested to see how different passages compare in different translations.
Sue thats the translation i'm reading and i'm finding quite enthralling so i presume a good translation
Image for Thérèse Raquin