Irene
Irene asked:

I'm a school librarian... wondering if this is a bit too much for gr 7 and gr 8? 12 & 13 yr olds? thanks

To answer questions about The Gates of Rome, please sign up.
Caldog I haven't read this book but I have read the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden, which is about Ghengis Khan. His writing style doesn't put too much emphasis on the violence itself, more on the results of the violence. There's a few sex scenes but the most detail it goes into is roughly "She undid her deel (coat) and it slipped from her body". So I honestly think this should be fine, unless The Emperor series is written differently.
Parzival I've read it and i'm only in year 8 and i absolutely loved it! A bunch of my friends have too and there younger then me so i think it would be fine
Sean The main character spends much of the story at that age.
It's fascinating to see a "regular" upper class boy begin to transform into the fearsome leader he will become.
So I would say it would be great to share with them.
Christopher Harju It's perfect and fully suitable for that age. I myself read it about 14 years ago, being in that exact age range. If you are from USA, where people are more conservative, I would not recommend it.
Michael R This will be fine... Wonderful book for all ages
Image for The Gates of Rome