Susan Pashman
Susan Pashman asked:

I"m finding this a really readable and very enjoyable book. Kissinger truly understands the Chinese mind and how it has evolved from ancient China to the present. An excellent psychologist. What is your sense of what he's doing here?

To answer questions about On China, please sign up.
Sternej I've seen this book bashed by some who don't like Kissinger for his political past. Hoever, there's no denying that he is a briiliant man. He deftly gives an overview of ancient Chinese history and culture, then moves into modern times. Since he was more in charge of diplomatic relations between the U.S. and anyone for at least 35 years, who better to tell that story? Since he has all this inside information and personal observation of the Chinese leaders since Mao, he makes it personal and that keeps it from becomong a dry history book.
Amy Kwei I think giving us the historical background makes us aware of why China is so paranoid about foreign intrusion into Chinese affairs. It is certainly important for a diplomat to understand that.

Sorry for the late answer. Have been busy getting my second book: Under the Red Moon: A Chinese Family in Diaspora published.
Image for On China