Cathy Mitchell

Second half of my question, since it was over the total number of allowed characters. "Numerous were the Biblical texts in which some Old Testament hero rejoiced at the news he was the father of a son, and one of the morning prayers recited by men included the passage: "Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who hast not made me a woman" Thoughts on this passage?

To answer questions about The Source, please sign up.
Portia Religions from the Middle East-Judaism, Christianity and Islam have taken away the rights of women. Women were once regarded as the most powerful and respected creatures on earth since they gave forth human life. Women were regarded as goddesses and were treated as such. Middle Eastern religions made women subservient and created this whole image as of women being cunning, seducers who tricked men into submission. I personally blame all the patriarchal religions for the humiliation and mistreatment of women. If women were treated as goddesses there would be less SENSELESS VIOLENCE, LESS WARS and more peace and love.
Atara Kennedy Men thank G-d for being placed in a position to perform more mitzvot (obligations) than women, since Torah assigns them a greater number. The Torah tells us that the fact that men have more mitzvot indicates they have further to go in order to perfect themselves in the world. The Torah tells us that women, on the other hand, in order to accomplish their specific mission, are born more spiritually evolved. Thus, a man can legitimately thank Hashem for not having been made a woman, because he has a greater number of opportunities to use the mitzvot as tools to connect to G-d.

A Jewish man expresses his happiness and appreciation for the opportunity to connect to G-d by attempting to fulfill a set of obligations of which a small percentage are specific only to men. The Torah assigns missions to respective groups of people. Males have responsibilities not shared by others. The blessing, “for not making me a woman” differentiates a man’s mission vis-a-vis the particular mission assigned to the opposite sex.

It is phrased in the negative to convey the humility associated with shouldering such an enormous yet meaningful task, while preserving the sense of gratitude for such a profound life purpose.
Yehuda I would completely disagree. Although I wouldn't claim that men and women were equal. They were definitely better off than most of society. I think the fact that the old testament has a female judge (Deborah) is something very uncharacteristic of that age.
Vicki Stone it refers to childbirth
Charismatic The answer for EVERY question on Judaism (and you can believe me: I was the valedictorian of my Hebrew school class!) is this:

"It's a Bronze Age religion".

What do you expect? it reflects the values and memes of 2500 years ago. Fortunately nobody really believes stuff like this. It is just a quaint artifact of our very, very long history as one of the world's oldest religions.
Image for The Source