Ettelb
Ettelb asked:

So I got to chapter 35 and I find I'm really starting to hate Johhnie's mother. Is it just me? Does it change as the book progresses? Cuz right now I can't shake the urge to throttle her every time she gets them robbed or humiliated and than proceeds to keep on to her secrets with the words "you'll know it all some day".I get that it's a suspense builder but it's a reeeealy annoying one .

To answer questions about The Quincunx, please sign up.
Ramona I am currently reading Quincunx, and I am on the edge of my seat with the never-ending suspense and secrets. I do find that the mother is so naïve and trusting to the point of being utterly stupid and she does need to be throttled. I am only halfway through the book and the thought of approx. 400 more pages of suspense, and twists and turns is exciting, but nerve-wracking too! So unexpected; I feel like I have to catch my breath at times. It's really a very good book and the author is unbelievable at creating such an interesting and lengthy plot(s). Hard to put down due to all that happens to this mother and her son.
T Coffee Fiend The mother is not supposed to be especially likeable. :)
Jade It changes, but to tell you how it changes would be to spoil the book for you. Keep reading. It is an amazingly written book!
Andrea In a Q&A with the Guardian, author Karen Joy Fowler points out that men just wrote women that way:

"In college, I read Doris Lessing’s The Golden Notebook. This was not the first book by a woman I’d read, but the first time I was so conscious of it. Ernest Hemingway and F Scott Fitzgerald, Saul Bellow and Ken Kesey – their women were inexplicable. They were often childish, petty and shallow, yet desirable. My bewilderment just seemed to be something I had to put up with until Lessing showed me I didn’t."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/202...
Nacho A. A. Basically, she's simply stupid, useless and despicable. But that's only mirroring the eduction, life style and values of the time. Palliser knows what he's doing...
Tijl Vandersteene No, it just keeps going on. There's no evolution. It's mind blowing boring. The mother is one of the worst characters I ever saw in a book.
After a few chapters I started wondering how she ever made it to the start of the story. If she has always been that dumb the situation at the beginning of the book is just impossible.
Greg I did like this book and gave it a three star rating. That said, it was over the top at times.
Image for The Quincunx