Carol
Carol asked:

I'm trying to encourage our book club to branch out into some new genres. Would this be a good book for that? What is the level of language/violence/sex for our sensitive readers? Thanks.

To answer questions about City of Stairs, please sign up.
Charty The book raises some interesting questions that I think could provide good discussion. The City of the title used to be a powerful empire that enslaved the Saypuri people, but they rebelled and now the once powerful empire has been brought to ruin and the City (and others on the continent) now suffer from the opression of the opressed. He also raises some points about history and who records it, keeps it and decides what is the historical "truth". There are a lot of meaty roles for female characters. This book deals heavily in religion. Not religion as Western Christendom thinks of it, but the characters of the book inhabit a world where there were multiple "gods" or divinities and they performed miraculous acts, which in other language could be seen as "magic" so I think there is some complex questions that could be talked about regarding reality and the nature of the divine and how people and their faith interact and affect one another.

There is some bad language - mostly a particular character who swears a lot. Violence, not much interpersonal, but there are a couple of set pieces with big battles but not too graphically depicted (I thought). Some individual peril for our main characters. As for sex, there is some depicted but nothing graphic, I've read steamier YA/teen books in that regard. Oh, and one of the characters is homosexual/bi-sexual if that's a concern. Hope that helps!
Image for City of Stairs
by Robert Jackson Bennett (Goodreads Author)